How to Geotag Photographs on the Nokia N95 for Google My Maps and Flickr
Its taken a bit of time to work this one out but with a few simple steps you can capture geotagged photographs on your Nokia N95, upload to Flickr and then add them to Google's My Maps.
The process is simple:
Initial Set Up
1) First off go to ShoZu.com - Shozu is freely available software that allows you to both geotag photographs on your N95 and upload to a number of online services, in our case Flickr.
Sign up with the site and select the Nokia N93 as your phone (the N95 is not yet listed). You will be asked to set up a user name and password as well as your mobile number. Once registered ShoZu will send a text along with a link to download the software. We downloaded via a Wi-Fi link to make sure we didn't incur any phone charges;
2) Install ShoZu on your N95 and login to your account using the username and password you set up. This will authenticate your account allowing you to log back into the web based service and set up a number of destinations to upload your photographs;
3) To enable uploading to Flickr go to the web page and selecting the 'Share It' tag. Now simply go through the process of allowing ShoZu the required rights to upload to your account.
This completes the set up ShoZu in terms of services, we now simply need to turn on GPS tagging;
4) Open ShoZu on your N95 and go to: Options/View and then the images tag which is indicated by a film strip icon. The 4th option is GPS Tagging, switch this to On.
Capturing and Uploading
1) Open either Nokias 'Maps' or the 'Sports Tracker' application and make sure you are getting a GPS fix, we use Sports Tracker as it allows us to additionally upload our route to Google Earth/Maps;
2) Start taking your pictures, with ShoZu installed each photograph will have a location tag written into its EXIF information.
3) Open ShoZu and select Share-It/All files, this will display a list of your photographs. Select the image your want to upload and click Options, this displays the choice to Send to Flickr. Select send and your image will be uploaded, again we uploaded via Wi-Fi to minimise any data charges.
Your images will now be available on your Flickr page and automatically geotagged. Within Flickr you can choose to view by map which opens a Yahoo Map page, we prefer Googles My Maps options:
1) At the bottom of your Flickr Photos page you will see a RSS Feed Icon and the Feed link - Right click on this link and copy the link location;
2) Login into your Google Maps account and paste the feed location into the search box - now add the following to the end of the paste '&georss=true' (without the ')
3) Running the search will display your photographs from the N95 on Google Maps via Flickr, to add them to My Maps simple click on each icon and choose 'Save to My Maps'
You can view our geotagged images from the Nokia N95 on our My Maps page.